New York State Anti-Harassment Training Requirements
NY Governor Cuomo signed into law the 2019 New York State Budget, which updated the State’s sexual harassment laws – April 12, 2018
Inspire HR is here to outline the requirements of the new law and ensure companies are not only compliant, but on the path to creating safer and more inclusive workplaces.
- Expanded protection to non-employees providing services in the workplace (e.g. contractors, subcontractors, vendors, consultants, temporary workers)
- Written anti-sexual harassment prevention policy must be created and distributed to employees in their spoken language (for current employees) or before commencing work (for future new employees). Acknowledgment of receipt is encouraged, but not required.
- Interactive training:
- Must be delivered between October 9, 2018 – October 9, 2019, and then annually going forward (based on the calendar year, the anniversary of each employee’s start date or any other date the employer chooses)
- Required for all employees working any portion of their time in New York, including part-time, seasonal, and temporary/transient employees working for just one day in NY
- New hires are encouraged to complete training as soon as possible after starting their job
- Training must be provided to employees in their spoken language
- Interactive training must cover:
- Explanation of sexual harassment consistent with guidance issued by the Department of Labor in consultation with the Division of Human Rights
- Examples of conduct that would constitute unlawful sexual harassment
- Information concerning the federal and state statutory provisions concerning sexual harassment and remedies available to victims of sexual harassment
- Information concerning employees’ rights of redress and all available forums for adjudicating complaints
- Information addressing conduct by supervisors and any additional responsibilities for such supervisors
For additional information, visit NY State’s Combating Sexual Harassment in the Workplace website or speak with an Inspire expert.